Robert R James
Once again I have been honoured to participate as Independent Chairman of Judging for the 2018 Printing Awards.
I congratulate the Thai Printing Association Committee and its Members, who continue to promote these Awards.
These Awards are supported by various trade suppliers, who are collectively either Major Sponsors or Patrons.
The judging process of every entry is conducted under specific guidelines.
This year each team of judges were very impressed with not only the number of entries in most Categories, but of the outstanding print quality in the following Categories
- Sheet-fed Offset -Leaflets, Flyers, Brochures, Booklets, Catalogues and Newsletters
- Sheet-fed Offset -Magazines and Journals
- Sheet-fed Offset -Books, four or more colours
- Digital Printing -Calendars and Photo books
- Labels and Tags -Any Process and Any Substance
- Specialty Categories -Multi-Piece Production and Campaigns
- Specialty Categories -Self Promotion
- Corrugated -Creative Design
It is critical that the ‘Condition of Entry’ are observed, to provide the judges with all production and technical details on the ‘Entry Form – Part 2’.
Any additional information will further facilitate the judging procedure and possibly the allocation of an Award to that entry.
Unfortunately, a number of entries in some Categories did not comply with the specific entry requirements,namely : ‘Flexography’, ‘Gravure’, ‘Books – two or three colours’ and ‘Digital – Wide Format, Signage – Indoor or Outdoor’.
Ideally, a sample of any high quality production should now be put aside for serious consideration to be entered into the 2019 Thai Print Awards.
In conclusion, I want to acknowledge the much appreciated contributions by the following personnel – Awards Chairman Thai Printing Association Committee Members
Clerical staff for cataloguing, grouping and preparing all entries Judges for sharing their expertise and devotion to selecting all Thai Print Award winning entries.
We congratulate all Award winners and may you continue to support the Thai Print Awards in 2019.
Robert R James
Independent Chairman of Judging
CHAIRMAN OF JUDGING PROFILE 2017
- Master of Education, University of Melbourne, Australia 1992
- Former Head of Printing Machining, Binding & Finishing Departments ICGT – RMIT University
- Council Member of the Australia New Zealand Flexographic Technical Association, 1988 – 1991 and 1994 – 1997
- Inducted into the Australia New Zealand Flexographic Technical Association (ANZFTA)‘Hall of Fame’ in 2001
- Judge of ANZFTA Print Awards 1991 – 1997
- Independent Chairman of Judging ANZFTA Print Awards 1998 – 2016
- Judge of Flexible Packaging & Label Manufacturers Association Print Awards 2017
- Judge of Australian National Print Awards 1992 – 2006
- Judge of Australian Label and Tag Print Awards 2004 – 2015
- Judge of Thai Print Awards 2006 – 2015
- Independent Chairman of Judging of Thai Print Awards 2016
- Judge of Asian Print Awards 2004 – 2013
- Judge of Asian Flexographic, Gravure and Label Print Awards 2004 – 2013
- Independent Chairman of Judging of Asian Flexographic, Gravure and Label Print Awards 2014
- Judge of Sinar Mas Print Awards since 2011 – 2013
QUALIFICATIONS AND INDUSTRY CONTRIBUTIONS
- Commenced Flexographic and Gravure Printing Apprenticeship in 1963
- Qualified Flexographic and Gravure Printer since 1967
- Awarded Collie Trust International Study Scholarship in 1973
- Qualified Printing Trade Instructor since 1974 at MCPGA then RMIT University
- Member of numerous Printing and OH&S Advisory Committees 1974 – 2001
- Keynote and Guest Speaker at numerous Printing Technical Conferences
- Guest Lecturer at various Printing Industry Training Courses
- Author of numerous technical articles for Australian and International Printing Trade Journals 1988 – 2016
- Deputy Editor of ANZFTA journal 1997 – 2016
- Training Consultant of Flexographic and Gravure printing in Australia, New Zealand, Philippines and Vietnam since 1982
- Over 54 years’ of experience in the Printing Industry