Robert R James
Robert R James
INDEPENDENT CHAIRMAN OF JUDGING REPORT 2017
It has been my honour to participate as independent Chairman of Judging of the 2017 Awards.
Once again, the judges and I observed an impressive and record number of entries submitted into the 2017 Thai Printing Awards.
I congratulate the Thai Printing Association Committee and its Members, who continue to support these Awards.
These Awards continue to prosper with the valued support of the various trade suppliers, who are collectively either Major Sponsors of the Thai Print Awards or Patrons of the Special Awards.
As in the past, the judging process of each entry is conducted under specific guidelines. Should a judge have knowledge of the production of any entry, they must abstain from participating in the judging of that specific Category.
This year the judges were impressed, not only by the record number of entries submitted, but also by the excellent print quality and competitive variety of entries, especially in the following Categories:
- Sheet-fed Offset – Magazines and Journals
- Sheet-fed Offset – Books, four or more colours
- Sheet-fed Offset – Brochures, Booklets, Catalogues and Newsletters
- Digital Printing – Books
- Digital Printing – Packaging
- Special Categories – Multi-Piece production and Campaign
- Special Categories – Embellishments
- Special Categories – Innovation / Specialty Printing
To facilitate the judging process, it is essential (as a ‘Condition of Entry’) that all production and technical details are provided on the ‘Entry Form – Part 2’, for every Category.
Any additional information will further benefit the entry judging procedure.
Unfortunately, a number of entries in the following Categories – ‘Flexography’, ‘Gravure’ and ‘Books – two or three colours’, did not comply with the specific entry requirements.
All those supplying artwork, raw materials and equipment components, should encourage their customers, the printing establishment, to seriously consider entering the print which utilized their materials and equipment into the 2018 Thai Print Awards.
So, now is the time to encourage the operators of the various printing and other converting machine operations, to start putting aside any outstanding print reproduction and converting samples for review, once the entry into the 2018 Thai Print Awards has been invited.
Finally, I would like to acknowledge the continued dedication of all those involved in the preparation, judging and co-ordination of the 2017 Thai Print Awards.
We sincerely congratulate all of the 2017 Thai Print Award winners ‘Towards the New Frontier’.
Robert R James
Independent Chairman of Judging
CHAIRMAN OF JUDGING PROFILE 2017
- Master of Education, University of Melbourne, Australia 1992
- Former Head of Printing Machining, Binding & Finishing Departments ICGT – RMIT University
- Council Member of the Australia New Zealand Flexographic Technical Association, 1988 – 1991 and 1994 – 1997
- Inducted into the Australia New Zealand Flexographic Technical Association (ANZFTA)‘Hall of Fame’ in 2001
- Judge of ANZFTA Print Awards 1991 – 1997
- Independent Chairman of Judging ANZFTA Print Awards 1998 – 2016
- Judge of Flexible Packaging & Label Manufacturers Association Print Awards 2017
- Judge of Australian National Print Awards 1992 – 2006
- Judge of Australian Label and Tag Print Awards 2004 – 2015
- Judge of Thai Print Awards 2006 – 2015
- Independent Chairman of Judging of Thai Print Awards 2016
- Judge of Asian Print Awards 2004 – 2013
- Judge of Asian Flexographic, Gravure and Label Print Awards 2004 – 2013
- Independent Chairman of Judging of Asian Flexographic, Gravure and Label Print Awards 2014
- Judge of Sinar Mas Print Awards since 2011
QUALIFICATIONS AND INDUSTRY CONTRIBUTIONS
- Commenced Flexographic and Gravure Printing Apprenticeship in 1963
- Qualified Flexographic and Gravure Printer since 1967
- Awarded Collie Trust International Study Scholarship in 1973
- Qualified Printing Trade Instructor since 1974 at MCPGA then RMIT University
- Member of numerous Printing and OH&S Advisory Committees 1974 – 2001
- Keynote and Guest Speaker at numerous Printing Technical Conferences
- Guest Lecturer at various Printing Industry Training Courses
- Author of numerous technical articles for Australian and International Printing Trade Journals 1988 – 2016
- Deputy Editor of ANZFTA journal 1997 – 2016
- Training Consultant of Flexographic and Gravure printing in Australia, New Zealand, Philippines and Vietnam since 1982
- Over 54 years’ of experience in the Printing Industry